08 July 2009

commonalities...

So last night brought a strange phenomenon. Upon returning to the hostel with Peter last night, the television was broadcasting Michael Jackson's memorial service, live. Pretty cool, I thought, to be watching it from so far away at the same time that it was happening. We are 7 hours ahead of New York, and 10 ahead of LA, FYI. Also interesting was the fact that all the muzungus (the term used for white person here) from the US and Europe were being completely disrespectful and cracking jokes, while the Ugandans were taking it all in with wrapt attention. It was kind of ironic, I thought, but also neat that this pop culture icon really is a connector of cultures. He was/is an important presence here. When Queen Latifah talked about people watching from all around the world, I can attest that it really was true! Very cool.

Peter told me that the school where he is doing teacher training is going to have a Mass for Michael Jackson, and that they still have one every year to honor the losses of 9-11. Who knew? When was the last time our country remembered an African atrocity with any sort of regularity? Maybe it happens in small places as here, or maybe we will in the future, as our world becomes smaller and smaller....closer and closer.

I know that so far this blog has not spoken much about our work, but starting tomorrow, I will be reconnecting with the organizations and preparing for next week's seminars. It has been so great to ease back into being in the country: relearning the transportation system, connecting to my friends, and adjusting to the funny quirks. I also hope that throughout this blog I can continue to show you all the things which connect us, not just the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment