01 August 2010

Boda mis-hap....

So, I hesitate to blog about this because I have so many family members who read my blog, but I wanted to give a "dose of reality" in this post and tell about my first, and hopefully last, boda mis-hap.

Yes, that's right, my boda went down on Saturday. First, I will say that I only have 2 large bruises from the incident....nothing more. I think my embarrassment was worse than the actual fall.

We were [slowly] going over a mound of dirt when a car slowly crossed in front of us. My driver could not figure out whether to go in front or in back of the car. We were barely moving at this point, and he lost his balance to the right, over-corrected to the left, and the bike went down. Since I was riding like a lady, side-saddle, I fell backwards, landing thankfully, on my backpack. Don't worry, my computer survived the fall too.

The most shocking part of the incident was that amongst all the spectators, no one came to help me up. I got up, dirty and shaken, to the tune of about 6 men yelling "Sorry!" "Sorry!" "Sorry!". Anyone who has spent time here will tell you that it is common for people to say simply "Sorry" to you when something has happened, like you trip, spill something, or such. It was so annoying to hear that from the sidewalks without a single person coming to help.

I have since learned that it might be because it is so common for looting to happen after accidents (talk about kicking someone when they are down), that no one wanted to be accused of attempting to loot, so they stayed away. I guess that makes me feel better.

I politely declined the offer of one man to help me clean off....ha!...and proceeded to walk the rest of the way to the shop.

The most ironic part of the story is that Lori, Vanessa, and I had talked literally the night before about how we feel that it is inevitable that at some point in time one must go down in a boda. So, this was my turn, and now I never have to experience that again. Dad, does that make you feel better?

No comments:

Post a Comment